mercredi 17 novembre 2010

I Believe in the Book of Eli Soundtrack

I saw Book of Eli and can say – I believe – in the movie and the music. The score for Book of Eli by Atticus Ross and Claudia Sarne is haunting and surreal, perfectly suited for the desertscape in a world after the Flash.
The first bit of the score in particular – called Panoramic on the soundtrack album – reminded me of the middle of San Jacinto by Peter Gabriel, mixed with Gabriel’s score from Passion and remixed by Moby, and overlayed with the desert violins of Rajasthan, which generate the most soul-wrenching tone I have heard in this little life of mine. When the hallowed sounds of the hollowed violin play, the humdrum of the day kind of just fades away.
I would have expected that a serious, post-apocalyptic movie, would feature an emotive, evocative score but not much in the way of individual songs. I was very (pleasantly) surprised that there were two really great musical moments in the movie:
There is also a third song in the movie, Once Upon a Time in America by Ennio Morricone, but I could not place where it plays. It sometime between Al Green and Anita Ward.
Bottom line – I really enjoyed the Book of Eli – at least the first 1 hour 45 minutes and 15 seconds of it. I could have done without the last 45 seconds, which took a hauntingly poignant moment and made it a bit too Hollywood schlock wrapped it into a neat little bow for me. Maybe that’s just because as brilliant as Denzel was, and as beautiful as Mila Kunis is, I just don’t see them carrying the same mantle, or walking in the same shoes. Maybe it was because her sunglasses were just a bit too wayfarer for a wanderer from a post apocalyptic era.
Regardless, I enjoyed the movie and the music. I hope you enjoy them too.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire